Terence Murphy started the Sandygate Pottery at a disused mill at Kingsteignton in 1950. Initially it was with just a staff of two. Using Devon red clay Terence produce polka dot wares with some interesting colour combinations. They also produced attractive nursery ware in pastel colours with a white Duck or Teddy Bear in relief.
Later a large and varied range of contemporary pottery was produced using white slip casting together with a variety of decorating techniques. They made special mugs for Ovaltine Company including a special one for the Queens Jubilee in 1977 and these were marked The Ovaltine Pottery Sandygate Devon. As well as the different colours used for polka dots, of particular interest to will be the range of small animals made in the late 1950′s. Also of special interest to collectors is the limited edition of 250 Royal Wedding Loving Cup made to commemorate the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer in 1981.
For many years the pottery made lamp bases finished in plain colours and sold through major department stores but these were unmarked so are hard to identify. Despite re-equipping with new modem machinery the pottery found it hard to continue trading and they closed sometime after relocating to Newton Abbot during the 1990′s.